Take a break from the screens and get out of the house! Enjoy the winter wonderland of DuPage with these outdoor and indoor activities that don’t cost a dime.
Forest Preserve District of DuPage County
Beautiful in all seasons, especially winter, trek across the trails and take in the views of snowflakes on trees and pathways, sunrises, or pastel-colored sunsets. Start your New Year’s resolution off on the right foot and explore one of our 60 forest preserves this winter. Challenge yourself and see how many you can get to this winter. Popular DuPage forest preserves include:
- Blackwell, Warrenville
- Danada Equestrian Center, Wheaton
- Fullersburg Woods, Oak Brook
- Hawk Hollow, Bartlett
- Meacham Grove, Bloomingdale
- Waterfall Glen, Lemont
Who doesn’t love window shopping? It’s a great way to reach daily “step” goals and helps beat the feelings of “cabin fever” during the winter. There are plenty of pedestrian-friendly and easily accessible shopping destinations in DuPage County, including our charming downtowns. Looking to walk your dog, but want the both of you to stay warm? Yorktown Center is a dog-friendly place to let your furry friend get some exercise (on a leash, of course).
Illinois Prairie Path
Don’t let the chill of winter days prevent you from enjoying a leisurely walk or challenging run! Regardless of your fitness level, the Illinois Prairie Path helps residents and visitors stay active year-round. The path is the first successful rail-to-trail conversion in the United States, spans over 40 miles in DuPage, and is a main artery connecting communities, quaint downtowns, forest preserves, and recreational trails.
- Addison Historical Museum (open Wednesday and Friday)
- Billy Graham Center Museum
- DuPage County Historical Museum
- Elmhurst History Museum
- Gallery 200
- Glen Ellyn Historical Society
- Sheldon Peck Homestead, Lombard Historical Society
- Lizzadro Museum of Lapidary Art (free on Wednesdays)
- Mexican Cultural Center DuPage
- National Shrine and Museum of St. Therese
- Oakbrook Terrace Historical Society (open on Wednesdays)
- The Museums at Lisle Station Park (tours available by appointment only until March)
- Warrenville Historical Society
- West Chicago City Museum (open Thursday-Saturday)
- William L. Gregg Museum
Volunteer with an Organization
Why not be part of something bigger than yourself? Giving DuPage is a great resource to find your next volunteer opportunity. The organization coordinates several volunteer-related programs throughout DuPage. Give back to your community and help make a difference this winter.
Check our Calendar of Events, as new events are added weekly!